Saturday, January 29, 2011

The DaVinci Code

In February of 2004, Vicki picked The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown- what a stunning read! Really makes you think and ask questions...she decorated with a rose theme for "the Sacred Feminine". Rose petals were scattered on the table, a pink rose laid on each napkin. The beautiful centerpiece was made of  roses and baby's breath. A picture of the Last Supper for study was on display. In Vicki's words: "For the DaVinci Code:  trying to remember my co-host...hmm - was it Debbie M?  I think we put roses on the table because of the significance of the Rose in the book.  Shrimp Versailles (Paris) and English Broccoli (for the England connection the book).  Remember how much fun we had with the anagrams for each person's place setting?  They had to figure out their name as an anagram to know where to sit! I think I included the list of them on my scrapbook page...my favorite was Margie's! I believe the gift was in a special box (like the crypto box in the book) and was it a cross necklace?  Think I got all of that right...but you may have it all anyway in your wonderful scrapbook. "
Well, Vicki, your cohostess was Debbie M...and you both did a lovely job with this book club...
The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown: Book Cover

Synopsis


While in Paris on business, Harvard symbologist Robert Langdon receives an urgent late-night phone call: the elderly curator of the Louvre has been murdered inside the museum. Near the body, police have found a baffling cipher. While working to solve the enigmatic riddle, Langdon is stunned to discover it leads to a trail of clues hidden in the works of Da Vinci -- clues visible for all to see -- yet ingeniously disguised by the painter.
Langdon joins forces with a gifted French cryptologist, Sophie Neveu, and learns the late curator was involved in the Priory of Sion -- an actual secret society whose members included Sir Isaac Newton, Botticelli, Victor Hugo, and Da Vinci, among others.
In a breathless race through Paris, London, and beyond, Langdon and Neveu match wits with a faceless powerbroker who seems to anticipate their every move. Unless Langdon and Neveu can decipher the labyrinthine puzzle in time, the Priory's ancient secret -- and an explosive historical truth...(Barnes & Noble)

Vicki served tossed salad with Italian vinaigrette, Shrimp Versailles, English walnut broccoli, sesame knot rolls, and dessert was chocolate mousse.



Shrimp Versailles:    (Serves 12)
½ cup and 1 tablespoon butter
¼ cup and 2 tablespoons sliced green onion
4 ½ pounds fresh shrimp, shelled and deveined without tails
3  8 oz. pkgs. Cream cheese, cubed
½ cup and 1 tablespoon milk
1 ½ cups shredded swiss cheese
¼ cup and 2 tablespoons dry white wine
¼ teaspoon ground red pepper
¾ cup fine dry bread crumbs
¼ cup and 2 tablespoons melted butter
1.     Preheat oven to BROIL. Lightly grease a 3 quart baking dish.
2.     In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and saute the green onions. Toss in shrimp and saute until pink, about 5 minutes.
3.     Remove shrimp with slotted spoon and set aside. Add cream cheese and milk to skillet, stirring constantly until cheese melts. Stir in Swiss cheese, wine, cooked shrimp, and red pepper. Cook until all cheese is melted and shrimp are heated through.
4.     Pour mixture into prepared baking dish. Combine bread crumbs melted butter, sprinkle over shrimp mixture.
5.     Broil for 1 to 2 minutes or until golden brown.
An excellent accompaniment to cooked pasta; I think I used Angel hair pasta!

ENGLISH WALNUT BROCCOLI CASSEROLE 

Content Copyright © 2011 Cooks.com - All rights reserved.
2 pkgs. frozen broccoli
1/2 c. butter
2 c. milk
2/3 c. chopped walnuts
6 tbsp. butter
4 tbsp. flour
3-4 chicken bouillon cubes, crushed
2/3 c. water
2/3 of a pkg. of stuffing (8 oz.)

Cook and drain broccoli. Turn into 1 1/2 quart casserole. Melt 1/2 cup butter, blend with flour and crushed bouillon cubes to make smooth paste. Gradually add milk, cook until smooth. Pour over broccoli. Heat 2/3 cups water and 6 tablespoons of butter until melted. Pour over stuffing and walnuts, toss, coat well. Top broccoli with stuffing mix. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Each guest had to solve the anagram for their name to know where their place at the table was- Margie's was "I'M IN KARMA RAGE"...cute idea since we had anagrams in the book. The door prize was a rose inlay box containing a silver cross necklace and a cross keychain.

roses-wallpaper.jpg pink ...


 
 Roses are a symbol for love and gratitude. As the pink rose was the most prevalent among the old garden roses, it was most strongly associated with these sentiments. While different roses may have more specific meanings, these are still the underlying message of any color rose. Pink roses also now carry a connotation of grace and elegance, as well as sweetness and poetic romance. Different shades of pink also carry their own significance. Dark pink roses are symbolic of gratitude and appreciation, and are a traditional way to send a message of thanks. Light pink roses are associated with gentleness and admiration, and can also be used as an expression of sympathy.

And last but not least, Mr. Holmes says it best-

But friendship is the breathing rose, with sweets in every fold.
Oliver Wendell Holmes
We go from pink roses to blue virgins, Virgin Blue, next month....

2 comments:

  1. Delicious recipe and I love that book too. You're really giving me great ideas for my get together with my friends in a few months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there!

    My name is Steve Walters and I recently started blogging at http://www.eatingbangkok.com, which is currently being updated with recipes, but in the next few months will be my vehicle for covering the food and restaurant scene in Bangkok Thailand.

    I am now in the process of meeting as many food bloggers as I can and I found your site http://dinnerandabook-deardonna.blogspot.com recently and was pretty impressed. I've added your site to my Foodie Blogs list here: http://www.eatingbangkok.com/foodie-blogs/ and would also like to add you to my blogroll.

    If you could add my site to your blogroll and write back to let me know it has been added (foodie [at] eatingbangkok.com) I will add you to mine as well and the exchange would be greatly appreciated!

    As you might imagine I am very excited to get moved to Bangkok and get started on covering the food scene there as I feel it is an area that isn't well covered by English speaking bloggers. I plan on adding loads of great reviews, pictures and even video and will be holding contests as well. It should be fun, entertaining and informative for everyone that visits.

    Thank you so much in advance for adding me to your blogroll and I look forward to reading your posts (I've subscribed!) and maybe even featuring some of your own posts as I do plan on a weekly roundup of Thai themed recipes and posts from other food bloggers.

    Warm regards,
    Steve

    P.S. If you are on Twitter I would love to have you as a follower and I follow back:
    http://www.twitter.com/eatingbangkok

    ReplyDelete